Just a quick reminder that tomorrow, November 4th, is the deadline to enter my Food52 Cookbook giveaway.
To enter, leave a comment below telling me what your signature dish is and leaving me your name and email (just so's I can contact you in case you win - I won't add you to anything, promise!) You can also enter by leaving a comment to this effect on my Facebook page, if you prefer.
This drool-worthy new cookbook features 140 gorgeous recipes like this amazing one pot kale and quinoa pilaf by Deena of Mostly Foodstuffs (photo courtesy of Sarah Shatz). Good luck!
One-Pot Kale and Quinoa Pilaf
- 2 cups salted water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, washed and chopped into 1" lengths
- 1 meyer lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 scallions, minced
- 1 tablespoon toasted walnut oil
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- salt and pepper
1. Bring the water to a boil in a covered pot. Add the quinoa, cover, and lower the heat until it is just enough to maintain a simmer. Let simmer for 10 minutes, then top with the kale and re-cover. Simmer another 5 minutes, then turn off the heat and allow to steam for 5 more minutes.
2. While the quinoa is cooking, take a large serving bowl and combine half of the lemon juice (reserving the other half), all of the lemon zest, scallions, walnut oil (you can substitute olive oil if you desire), pine nuts, and goat cheese.
3. Check the quinoa and kale when the cooking time has completed -- the water should have absorbed, and the quinoa will be tender but firm, and the kale tender and bright green. If the quinoa still has a hard white center, you can steam a bit longer (adding more water if needed). When the quinoa and kale are done, fluff the pilaf, and tip it into the waiting bowl with the remaining ingredients. As the hot quinoa hits the scallions and lemon it should smell lovely. Toss to combine, seasoning with salt and pepper, and the remaining lemon juice if needed.
Want even more recipes, photos, giveaways, and food-related inspiration? "Like" the Garden of Eating on Facebook!