You might not think these things go together until you try them. Then you realize that nothing could be tastier.
The combination of flavors and textures is truly delightful -- sweet, crisp watermelon, thinly sliced onion, aromatic mint, salty feta and olives. It's one of the most refreshing things I've ever eaten.
Assembly is a breeze. The recipe below is from Nigella Lawson. Enjoy!
Watermelon, Feta and Black Olive Salad
* 1/2 small red onion, peeled, halved and cut into very fine slices
* Juice of 2 limes
* 1 1/2 pounds ripe watermelon, seeded and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
* 4 ounces firm feta cheese cut into similar-sized chunks
* 1/2 bunch fresh Italian parsley, rinsed and dried
* 1/2 bunch fresh mint, rinsed, dried and chopped
* 1/8 cup good olive oil
* 1/2 cup pitted black olives, sliced
* Several grinds of black pepper
1. Place the onion in a small bowl with the lime juice and let them stew while you prep the other ingredients.
2. Place the chunks of feta in a large bowl. Tear off sprigs of parsley and add to the bowl along with the chopped mint.
3. Pour the sliced onion and lime juice over the salad in the bowl, add the olive oil and olives and toss very gently. Add a few grinds of black pepper and taste, adjusting the seasonings as needed (you may want a little bit more lime juice.)
You might also like:
Grilled Eggplant Stacks with Feta, Tomatoes & Basil
Chopped Summer Salad
Thai Eggplant Salad with Fresh Herbs & Greens