I managed to go through two French presses in the past year. My husband dropped one and the other just cracked for no obvious reason as I was pouring boiling water into it. If you're not a coffee drinker, it's probably hard to appreciate the potent combination of dread and despair one feels upon realizing that there will be no coffee in the morning. I never want to feel that way again.
So after months of research, I've upgraded my caffeine delivery system from a glass Bodum to this swanky, stainless steel Frieling French press.
I had three main reasons for saying buh bye, Bodum and hallo, Frieling:
1. Indestructible - after all the broken glass, I wanted something that can take some hard knocks;
2. Insulated - the double walls keep your coffee hot for a long time; and
3. Classic good looks - I love the clean, simple design - like something out of Mad Men.
I also love that there is no plastic anywhere as I'd just as soon skip mixing potentially toxic plastics with boiling water I'm about to drink. And the fact that it's all stainless steel also means it can (and does!) go right into the dishwasher.
The one downside is that it was not cheap - it's about twice as expensive as one of the Bodum deals of a similar size. But after having two of the glass ones break on me, I was (finally) willing to spend a little more for greater longevity and the ability to handle it without fear.
In short, I Friel great about the change.
Please note: Some of the links above are affiliate links which means that I'll earn a small commission if you buy something through those links. No one is paying me to write this post (sadly :)) and the opinions are my own based on my own experience. If you have questions about this, just ask!
You might also like:
- Five Kitchen Tools That Changed My Life
- The Best, The ONLY Way To Grease Your Waffle Iron
- The Plastic Pot Scraper - Wicked Cheap & Wildly Effective