* 3 large fennel bulbs (thick base of stalk), stalks cut off, bulbs halved lengthwise, then cut lengthwise in 1-inch thick pieces
* Olive oil
* Balsamic vinegar or glaze or pomegranate molasses
*1/4 tsp lemon zest
* Sea salt
* Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Rub just enough olive oil over the fennel to coat. Sprinkle on some balsamic vinegar (or balsamic glaze or pomegranate molasses), also to coat. Then toss on the lemon zest, sea salt and pepper.
3. Lay out the pieces of fennel in a glass baking dish or on a heavy cookie sheet and roast for 30-40 minutes, or until the fennel is cooked through and beginning to caramelize.