I bought the nuts at Trader Joe's because they always have really good deals on nuts and dried fruits - a 1 pound bag of organic raw pecans was only $5.69. I found plenty of recipes online - below is one from Slashfood that I've modified slightly to make it slightly spicy, as opposed to just spiced.
This seems like something you could play around with quite a bit and always have it turn out yummy. For instance, you could probably replace the sugar with maple syrup or play with the spices to create something with a more middle eastern flavor - cardamom, cumin, etc. Candied walnuts would also be good.
- 2 1/2 cups raw pecans
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
1. Preheat oven to 300F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, stir the pecans with the egg white.
3. In a small bowl, stir together the sugar, cinnamon, allspice and salt. Pour over the nuts and stir until evenly coated.
4. Spread in a single layer on the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
5. Slide parchment paper (with nuts still on it) off of the baking sheet and onto a wire rack (or the counter) to cool.
6. Break nuts up into a bowl to serve or store at room temperature in an airtight container.