A few days ago, Heidi at 101 Cookbooks published a great post about egg salad that had me boiling eggs faster than you could say "Mmmm, egg salady!"
I don't think I had ever made egg salad before but I can't for the life of me think why not? It's f-ing good!
My recipe is below. Feel free to get creative with this - these are just suggestions to get you thinking.
Curried Egg Salad
* 6 eggs, hardboiled
* 1 shallot or small onion, finely minced
* 2 stalks of celery minced
* 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
* 1/2 cup whole organic yogurt (if you like the taste of mayo, you can substitute a tablespoon or two for some of the yogurt)
* 1 tsp mango chutney or apricot preserves
* 1 tsp mustard (a french or yellow mustard would work equally well)
* 2 tsps curry powder
* Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
* Handful of dried currants or chopped purple grapes (optional)
* Handful of toasted chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Hardboil the eggs and then cool in cold water. While the eggs are cooking, chop the onion, celery and cilantro.
2. Mix the chopped veggies and herbs with the mustard, yogurt (and/or mayo), preserves, and curry powder.
3. Peel the eggs and chop to desired size. Place the eggs in a medium sized bowl and throw in the currants/grapes and/or walnuts if you're using them. Pour the dressing over the eggs and toss to coat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Serve on toasted whole grain sandwich bread with lettuce or arugala.