Serves 2 as a main course or 4 as an appetizer
* 1 lb of zucchini (about 2 medium-sized or 4 small), coarsely grated
* 1 large egg or 2 small
* 2 scallions or 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
* 2 tsps chopped fresh parsley, dill or basil
* 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese (optional, but very tasty...)
* 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
* Sea salt
* Freshly ground black pepper
* 1/2 cup canola or peanut oil
1. Salt the zucchini with about 1 teaspoon of salt and set it in a colander to drain. After about 10 minutes, press down on the mixture with your hands to remove more of the liquid.2. Beat the egg in a large bowl then add the zucchini, flour, scallions, herbs, cheese and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Mix well to ensure that there are no clumps of flour.
3. Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet (cast iron works best) over medium heat. Drop six large spoonfuls of batter (they should be roughly 2 Tbsp each) into the skillet and press down slightly with the spoon to flatten them. Cook, turning once, until browned, 4-6 minutes on each side. Transfer them to a plate lined with a used brown paper bag to absorb the excess oil. As you remove the finished fritters from the skillet, replace them with new batter and start the process again.
4. Serve hot with the sour cream or yogurt and chutney or applesauce on the side.A few more recipes you might like:
Like this recipe? Click here to browse through more Eatwell Recipes.