This is my favorite way of preparing summer squash. It's quick, simple and truly delicious. I've loved it ever since my mother-in-law prepared a bunch for a summer cookout a few years ago.
It's pretty easy to throw the squash onto the grill if you're barbequing other things but if you don't have a grill, you can also roast the squash on a cookie sheet in the oven with similarly tasty results.
This is such a simple recipe that I have not really specified any amounts below -- just adjust as needed based on how much squash you have to work with. The garlic is optional -- it will taste good with or without it. You can either eat these as a side or add them to some orzo, farro or quinoa along with some goat or feta cheese and basil for a delicious salad.
Grilled Summer Squash & Zucchini
* Summer squash and zucchini (or one or the other)* Olive oil
* Sea salt
* Freshly ground black pepper
* Minced or pressed garlic (optional)
1. Slice the squash into 1/4 inch-thick ribbons length-wise (you could use a mandolin if you have one but a sharp knife will do the trick fine, too)
2. Toss the squash with olive oil to coat thoroughly and sprinkle with the salt, pepper and garlic (if you're using it).
3. Grill over the hottest part of the coals (or gas jets) for roughly six minutes or until black grill marks appear, turning once. Move to a cooler area of the grill and grill another four or so minutes, until fully softened.
Like this recipe? Click here to browse through more Eatwell Recipes.