I wanted to share this yummy winter salad with you all. I made this to go with the spinach quiche for brunch a week or two ago and it was delicious -- hearty, crunchy, sweet, savory and shalloty.
This salad recipe is pulled from a recent Eatwell Farm newsletter which credits it to a 2004 Gourmet recipe which was in turn adapated from a recipe from The Peerless Restaurant in Ashland, OR (and I've made a few minor adjustments to it, too.) Not surprisingly, the CSA produce box contained frisee, lettuce, apples and celeriac--this seemed like a great way to put all those ingredients to use in one yummy, nutritious dish.
Frisee, Apple & Celeriac Salad With Shallot-Citrus Dressing & Goat Cheese
* 2 tsps shallot, finely minced
* 1 tsp honey
* 2 Tbsps fresh tangerine or orange juice
* 2 Tbsps sherry vinegar
* 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
* 1/4 tsp white pepper (ground)
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* One head of frisee, washed, dried and cut or ripped into manageable-sized pieces
* 1/2 fennel bulb, thinly sliced (optional)
* 1/4 celeriac, cut into 1/8" thick sticks (roughly 1/2 cup)
* 1 apple, washed, cored and cut into 1/8" thick sticks or thin slices (as you prefer)
* Several handfuls of lettuce or arugala, washed, dried and cut or ripped into bite-sized pieces
* 2 oz goat cheese
* handful of toasted pecans (optional)
* 1 tsp white truffle oil (optional)
1. Prepare the dressing. Whisk together the shallot, honey, citrus juice, vinegar salt and white pepper in a small bowl, then add the olive oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until combined.
2. Prepare the salad. Toss the lettuce, frisee, apple and celery root in a large bowl with the dressing. Season with salt and white pepper. Crumble the goat cheese over the dressed salad and drizzle with the truffle oil before serving.
Like this recipe? Click here to browse through more Eatwell Recipes.