This salad is my new love. We met through our mutual friend, Polly, who brought it to a holiday party my family and I attended recently. I have to admit that it was not love at first sight. My initial impression was "Whoa! That's a lotta roughage" but before the first bite had even made it all the way to my tummy, we were as thick as thieves.
Polly's husband, Wayne, affectionately refers to this salad as "nature's barbed wire" and while I can't deny that you'll fulfill your daily fiber requirements within about three mouthfuls, I assure you that you'll be going back for seconds. And probably thirds. If there's any left at that point, that is.
The kale I picked from our mini hoop house (above) was not Tuscan but it tasted good, nonetheless. Maybe this salad is even better with the Tuscan variety - feel free to experiment and let me know what you find.
The first step is to make the dressing. You want to give it a chance to let the flavors meld and develop a bit -- probably best to make it half or even a full day in advance if you can.
With that in mind, I made a double batch of dressing because I know I'll want to eat this salad again very soon...) I like to make dressing in one of these glass jam jars and LOVE that you can buy these cute, little, red Luminarc lids to make it easy to store things in them.
Once, the dressing is ready, you can get down to business with the rest of the ingredients. I used my handy dandy little Kyocera mandolin to shave the Brussels sprouts up nice and thin - as usual, it worked like a charm.
Don't skimp on the nuts, cheese or dressing. They provide important rich, nutty, crunchy complements to all the hearty greens and the acidity and bite of the dressing.
This hearty winter salad that eats almost like a meal. The recipe is lightly adapted from the Bon Appetit original.
Brussels Sprouts & Kale Salad With Toasted Almonds & Parmesan
* 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
* 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
* 1 Tbsp minced shallot
* 1 small clove garlic, finely grated
* Sea salt and pepper
* 1/2 cup olive oil
* 1 bunch Tuscan kale, center stem discarded, leaves sliced thinly
* 12 oz. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and shredded
* 1/3 cup almonds with skins, toasted and coarsely chopped
* 1/ cup grated Pecorino, Parmesan or Romano cheese
1. Combine lemon juice, Dijon mustard, shallot, garlic, 1/2 tsp. salt, and a pinch of pepper in a small bowl. Stir to blend; set aside to let flavors meld. Mix the thinly sliced kale and shredded Brussels sprouts in a large bowl.
2. Slowly whisk remaining olive oil in cup into lemon-juice mixture. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. Add the dressing, cheese and almonds to the Brussels sprouts and kale mixture and toss to coat. Season lightly with salt and pepper and serve.
You might also like: