- 2lbs figs, diced or quartered (your preference)
- 1lb pancetta, cubed
- 1 red onion, diced
- EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- Half cup good red wine
- Pound of penne
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Boil water for the pasta, when it boils, add the penne and cook until al dente
2. Cook the onion and pancetta in evoo until golden brown
3. Add the figs and wine and cook for 5 more minutes
4. Taste and add salt and pepper
5. Drain the pasta
6. Pour fig and onion mixture over the hot pasta and then drizzle on some more evoo for added flavor
7. Top with grated parmesan cheese
I haven't had a chance to try this recipe out yet but it sounds to me like it would go nicely with an arugala salad -- something fresh and peppery to complement the sweetness of the figs and richness of the pancetta.
Toast a handful of pinenuts and wash some arugala. Dress the arugala with a simple vinaigrette of lemon, olive oil, and white balsamic vinegar, then toss with salt and freshly ground black pepper and top with some shaved parmesan cheese and toasted pinenuts.
I don't know wines at all -- anyone care to suggest a good pairing for this meal?
You might also like: