I created this delicious little salad/slaw about a month ago and have since made it a number of times.
Not only is it super quick and easy, it's also delicious - tangy, sweet, and crunchy. It's remarkable how the lime juice and the cilantro work together to make cabbage, the queen of winter vegetables, taste like summer. The combination of flavors makes it easy to imagine that you're sitting in the hot sun of say, Mexico, listening to birds sing and waves crash on the beach -- a welcome fantasy at this time of the year. It's also bright and pretty. In short, it is the bomb, if I do say so, myself.
This simple slaw/salad is a perfect accompaniment to tacos (fish or otherwise), chili, burritos, pulled pork, ropa vieja or similar braised or stewed meat.
The recipe is pretty flexible so if you prefer more or less, tang, sweetness or saltiness, just adjust the lime juice, honey and salt as you see fit. You could also add some finely chopped jalapeño pepper or thinly sliced onion if you like a little more kick.
Red Cabbage, Lime, Honey & Cilantro Slaw
Serves 4-6 (as a side)
- 1/2 large head of red cabbage (or 1 very small head - they're just often enormous), outer leaves removed
- 2 limes
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp honey (you could also use agave or maple syrup - I just think honey tastes best)
1. Thinly slice the cabbage (you can use a mandolin if you have one but a sharp knife is also just fine) and wash the cilantro, pulling the leaves off the stems.
2. Juice the limes and add the honey and salt, stirring until the honey has dissolved into the liquid.
3. Toss the cabbage with the lime juice, honey, salt mixture and add the cilantro - stir well to combine. With time, the cabbage will begin to release more of its juices (bathing everything in a beautiful, brilliant purple) and the cabbage will soften slightly, but it's tasty at any point.
You might also like:
- Baja-Style Fish Tacos
- Wilted Russian Kale Salad With Balsamic Vinegar & Orange Zest
- Chopped Summer Salad
- Salade de Carottes Râpées
- Asian-Style Cabbage, Carrot, Cilantro Slaw
Want even more recipes, photos, giveaways, and food-related inspiration? "Like" the Garden of Eating on Facebook, or follow me on Twitter or Pinterest.