This delicious, vegetarian stuffed squash would make a great addition to Thanksgiving dinner.The naturally sweet, slightly nutty flavor of the squash is complemented by the pinenuts and almonds and the sage gives it a nice savory, wintry feel.
Serves 4 as a side dish or 2 as a main dish
* 2 delicata squashes, halved length-wise and seeded
* 2 Tbsps fresh sage,chopped
* 1/3 cup lightly toasted pinenuts, chopped
* 1/3 cup lightly toasted almonds,chopped
* 1/2 cup cooked short-grain brown rice (I usually cook the rice in some vegetable broth for added flavor)
* 2 eggs, beaten (use organic, pasture-raised if you can get 'em)
* 1/4 cup cheddar cheese
* 1/4 grated Parmesan cheese
* 2 medium onions, finely chopped
* 4 cloves of garlic, minced
* 2 Tbsps olive oil or butter
* Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in sage and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in nuts. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine the rice, eggs, parmesan and half of the cheddar cheese. Stir in the nut and onion mixture. Divide the stuffing among the squash halves, sprinkle with the rest of the cheddar cheese, and bake until tender when pierced with a fork and tops are browning, about 45 minutes.
A few more recipes you might like:
- Butternut Squash Ravioli With Browned Butter, Sage, & Pinenuts
- Candied Butternut Squash
- Cider-Glazed Delicata Squash
- Red Pepper & Sausage Stuffed Butternut Squash
- Risotto With Roasted Butternut Squash & Sage
- Roasted Delicata Squash & Caramelized Red Onions With Farro & Arugala
- Sweet & Savory Stuffed Acorn Squash