This dish is a trifecta of tastiness. It melds three of the very best flavors of summer--juicy tomatoes, crunchy, sweet corn, and fragrant basil. There's not a whole lot more to it than that but the combination is sheer magic.
Tomato, Sweet Corn & Basil Salad
* 3 ears of sweet corn
* 2 large, ripe tomatoes (I recommend using an heirloom variety because they have the best flavor)
* 1 shallot or very small onion
* A large handful of fresh basil
* 3 Tbsps olive oil
* 2 Tbsps sherry vinegar
* Sea salt
* Freshly ground black pepper
1. Bring a pot of water to boil while you shuck the ears of corn. Drop the ears in the boiling water and cook for 8-10 minutes then remove and run under cold water to stop the cooking process.
2. Wash and chop the tomatoes into 1/2-inch cubes. Peel the shallot and mince it finely. Wash and dry the basil and chop it coarsely. Once the corn has cooled down enough to handle comfortably, cut the kernels off each cob and tease them apart by your fingers then place them in a small to medium-sized bowl, along with the tomatoes.
3. Mix the olive oil, sherry vinegar, shallot, basil, and some salt and pepper to taste then pour it over the tomatoes and corn. Stir gently to make sure everything is well coated with the dressing before serving.
A few other recipes you might like:
- Chopped Summer Salad
- Cucumber & Yogurt Salad With Herbs (Tzatziki)
- Grilled Summer Squash
- Lemon-Scented Quinoa With Tahini & Chickpeas
- Niçoise salad