It's a neat little kitchen magic trick - take two overripe bananas that no one will eat and turn them into a tasty loaf everyone loves. Abracadabra!Most batter breads are pretty simple and banana bread is no exception - it's one of the easier things you can bake.
I've had consistently good luck with this simple recipe (though I've clearly learned the hard way that you must use waterproof ink when it comes to writing recipes down...)
You can use slightly different spices (ginger, nutmeg, etc.) and nuts if you like. Enjoy!
Makes one loaf
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinammon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup butter (one stick)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 rip bananas, mashed
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Handful of chocolate chips (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Butter a loaf pan and set aside.
3. Sift dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl and mix thoroughly.
4. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add the mashed bananas and stir to incorporate. Add the beaten eggs and vanilla and stir to incorporate.
5. Add the sifted dry ingredients and stir until thoroughly blended in.
6. Pour into the greased loaf pan and bake for roughly one hour or until tested done (insert a clean knife - if it comes out clean, it's done, if not, cook it a few minutes longer and test it again.)